The town park near the Library has a newly created  historical circle and playground.  Stop along the Bokhara River which borders Hebel to enjoy a picnic, do a spot of fishing. It's a great place to unwind for the afternoon and enjoy the slow pace of this country town.  

Culgoa Flood Plain National Park is 47km to the west of Hebel. An isolated park with no facilities, it offers nature lovers a rare and undisturbed interpretation of an important Queensland wetland. For further information contact the Ranger on 07 4625 0942.

Hebel - A Town steeped in History

Hebel is an unpretentious town, a Queensland back door on the route leading over the border into New South Wales. This quaint  village epitomises Outback Queensland - great characters, interesting sites and the peace and quiet dreams are made of. Situated on the Castlereagh Highway south of St.George and Dirranbandi and just north of Lightning Ridge.

Established in 1889 as Kelly’s Point,  it has been claimed that Dan Kelly and Steve Hart of the infamous Kelly Gang resided here under assumed names. A book called “Horsemen Bold” written by Donald Hambleton Johnson documents the presence of these men in the area.

The settlement's name was changed to Hebel in the early 1880’s, which may be attributed to a German family by that name residing in town at the time. In particular, Nobel Van Hebel who helped stage the coaches for Cobb & Co.

YouTube 2014 - Small Town Culture - Documentary Video





The Hebel Store was established in 1897, but it was likely to have been operating well before this date.  

The store is  two buildings, incorporating the original store plus the Hebel dance hall, and is full of character. Watch your step on entering the building - as the original dance floor moves. 

Relax and enjoy tea. coffee and homemade pies on the verandah or meals in The Woolpack Dining Room. 

The Caravan Park offers accommodation in motel style units and at Jazz Cottage as well as caravan sites and tent sites.


Hebel is steeped in history, come and see! The little cemetery on the outskirts tells its own story with headstones dating back to the 19th Century. 

The Hebel Hotel opened in 1894 as a Cobb & Co changing station and later operated as a hotel. According to locals the building has not changed its name since that time.  

The hotel still features the original hitching rail and displays some quirky artwork.  Legend has it that members of the Ned Kelly gang drank at this very watering hole -  so take the opportunity to soak up both the hotels hospitality and colorful history. 

Facebook Toolkit