Thallon - A quiet place to rest....

Thallon is situated south of Nindigully & St.George on the Carnarvon Highway,  north of Mungindi and east of Dirranbandi & Bollon. All these towns are connected with bitumen highways, notably the Barwon, Carnarvon and Castlereagh.

Grain Silos:
Signalling your approach into Thallon, the giant grain silos featuring the stunning “Watering Hole” Mural act as landmarks for the town. Thallon is surrounded by prime grain growing country. In the 2012-2013 harvest Thallon recorded the second largest grain intake in Queensland, behind Goondiwindi. Wheat, cotton and chickpeas are the main crops grown in the Thallon area. The “Watering Hole” mural was painted by Brisbane Artists Travis Vinson (Drapl) and Joel Fergie (The Zookeeper) in July 2017. An interpretative sign is located on the designated viewing platform. Graincorp is a working depot; we ask that visitors not to enter the workplace of Grain Corp to view the mural.


William the Wombat
This Sculpture highlights preservation of the endangered Northern Hairy Nosed Wombat while providing a wonderful playground. In the late 1800s a population of Northern Hairy Nosed Wombats was discovered nearby on the Moonie River. The giant sculpture of William celebrates that historical connection and the need to protect this critically endangered species. More detail is located on the interpretative sign in the Town Park and a range of Wombat merchandise is available for sale at the Hotel.

Grazing of cattle and sheep, wool growing, broad-acre farming and irrigated cotton are all industries of the district.



Francis Hotel in Pine Street
Named after Harold Francis, an early licensee, the hotel stands metres off the busy highway waiting to satiate your appetite for food and local history.  Enjoy a barista made espresso coffee while viewing the collection of images of the local region in the dining room's photographic gallery. Hotel Francis offers accommodation and meals. The General Store, Tourist Information, and Postal Agency are all located within the Pub.

Small Town Culture Music video

The colourful kids of Thallon

Moonie River
For those wanting to stretch their legs or wet a line for Yellow Belly or Murray Cod, take a trip down to the beautiful Moonie River. Keen birdwatchers will also enjoy the many species that frequent the area. Try your luck fishing along the banks of the Moonie River. Or just bring a good book and chair to enjoy the unspoiled setting.
The Thallon Amateur Fishing Club hosts an annual competition in March. They work with the Queensland Murray Darling Commission to reduce carp numbers.
Image by Jane Hodges

The community fields a competitive Cricket Team “Thallon Daymar Drop Bears”,  bringing cricket games to Thallon over the summer.


The Thallon Progress Association meets on the first Tuesday of the month. Details available from the Post Office. The Progress Association has been instrumental in community revitalization and below is an example of this with the old Railway Station, now a Community Clubhouse at the Recreational Grounds.

The Thallon Daymar Branch of Queensland Country Women’s Association (QCWA) meets monthly on the 2nd Wednesday of the Month.  Visitors are invited to join them @ the CWA building in William Street for a cuppa from 9.30am.

Thallon Recreational Grounds
Next to the grain silos, you will find the relaxed free camping area located at the Thallon Recreational Grounds, which includes a Dump Point, all weather surface and toilets and showers. Un-powered sites free, Powered sites $5.50 per night. Keys available by phoning Thallon’s Town Officer on 0427 259 095 or from the Francis Hotel.

Image by Jane Hodges

History- First mention of the Thallon district was made by Sir Thomas Mitchell in his diary, when he was held up by floodwaters on a sandridge by the Moonie River in 1846. At this site, a bloodwood tree where Mitchell carved his survey initials still stands today.


Another place of historical significance in the Thallon area is Bullamon homestead. Built in the 1860’s and it still retains its original shingle roof, slab log walls and remains of Chinese gardens. It was part of a huge station that at its peak covered over 3,102,023 acres. The word “Bullamon” is an aboriginal work meaning “largest waterhole”. The homestead was an early Cobb & Co. change-over station and appears in Steele Rudds story “The Memoirs of Corporal Kelly”. 
References to the Moonie River made in 1846 indicated that points between Nindigully and Dareel are the oldest land settlements within the shire of Balonne. 


 In 1911, the St.George Progress Association asked the Minister for Lands to resume “Bullamon” for closer settlement and 780 acres were gazetted as a town reserve. Development followed with stores opened and a hotel was built to cater for the employees of the railway line which had arrived from Talwood. The town was named after the Commissioner for Railways, Mr J.F. Thallon. 

The first school in Thallon was set up in a tent in August 1911; known as the Bullamon Provisional School. In August 1912, the Department of Education renamed it as Thallon School and by 1913 a school building had been erected.

Two interesting murals exist at the school. Other murals are on Gates at the Recreation Grounds.

The South Western Railway line reached the Moonie River in 1911 and was officially opened on 2nd October that year.
Diesel locomotives replaced steam trains in 1967. Historical steam trains occasionally travel on the line.
Today the rail only carries grain from the receival depot at Thallon to Brisbane. 


Grain production in the Thallon area began in earnest in the late 1960’s. The Wheat Board built its first permanent storage facilities in 1969.
Eight years later the initial two concrete silos were constructed, each with a capacity of 2,750 tonnes with two additional concrete silos built in 1982.
In 2013, a second grain receival depot commenced construction on the northern side of Thallon, increasing the regions grain storage capacity. 

Facebook Toolkit