First mention of the Thallon district was made by Sir Thomas Mitchell in his diary, when he was held up by floodwaters on a sandridge by the Moonie River in 1846. At this site, a bloodwood tree where Mitchell carved his survey initials still stands today.
Another place of historical significance in the Thallon area is Bullamon homestead. Built in the 1860’s and it still retains its original shingle roof, slab log walls and remains of Chinese gardens. It was part of a huge station that at its peak covered over 3,102,023 acres. The word “Bullamon” is an aboriginal work meaning “largest waterhole”. The homestead was an early Cobb & Co. change-over station and appears in Steele Rudds story “The Memoirs of Corporal Kelly”.
References to the Moonie River made in 1846 indicated that points between Nindigully and Dareel are the oldest land settlements within the shire of Balonne.
In 1911, the St.George Progress Association asked the Minister for Lands to resume “Bullamon” for closer settlement and 780 acres were gazetted as a town reserve. Development followed with stores opened and a hotel was built to cater for the employees of the railway line which had arrived from Talwood. The town was named after the Commissioner for Railways, Mr J.F. Thallon.